Added to the event rules are procedures to certify new scripted surfboards for use in SLSA sanctioned competitions. It was not stated whether HP5 and LSD boards are already certified or if the only need to be certified if they undergo script changes. The rules regarding board certification are posted on the SLSA wiki and are as follows:
- 4.2 Surfboard Approval
- 4.2.1 When a new surfboard/script is proposed for competition use in official SLSA surfer ranking competitions, the SLSA Board of Directors will present the proposed surfboard to SLSA members in the SLSA Forums.
- 4.2.2 SLSA members will be given no less than one week and up to eight weeks as determined appropriate by the Directors, to ride and test the board. SLSA Members can then post any comments, suggestions, and concerns about the proposed board in the forums.
- 4.2.3 After members have been given a chance to post their comments, suggestions, and concerns about the proposed surfboard, then the SLSA Board of Directors will make a decision if the proposed surfboard could be considered for use in official SLSA surfer ranking competitions. The decision shall be based on a majority of opinion of the Directors on, if the proposed surfboard can be fairly used in competition. If it is decided that competitions could not fairly be held, then the proposed board will be dropped from consideration and reason(s) why posted in forums. “Fairly used” meaning such things as; that all SLSA Members have the same opportunity of access to the surfboard, the board can not be unfairly tampered with, that each wave ride can be scored consistently against the scoring criteria, etc..
- 4.2.4 If the SLSA Board of Directors decide that official SLSA surf competition could be fairly conducted on the proposed board, then the matter will be brought to the eligible voting members who are currently eligible to vote in Director Elections. Eligible members will vote on whether or not to adapt the proposed board for use in official SLSA competitions. The proposed board will be adopted for use in official SLSA competitions if a simple majority of eligible members who vote agree that the proposed board should be adopted.
- 4.2.5 This process only makes a proposed board eligible to be used in official SLSA competitions. The Surfboard Type for each competition is a decision made by the SLSA Board of directors during season planning. A surfboard may become eligible, but not necessarily selected for that season.
We will have to see what this does to the Da Hui series that tentatively scheduled the new Revolution system boards for the competition as well as the Tsunami series with the LSD board pending approval. I think it is important that we as surfers are able to give our feedback regarding the boards we use in competition, given that it is the ultimately the boards decision which board is used in which competition. Of course the hope is that this process can be conducted cleanly, fairly and quickly. I for one am waiting to see what comes up (hopefully very soon) in regards to this current season.
What are your thoughts on this new development?