Part of a continuing series
submitted by Zelda Zimberman
2. Team: Surfcrazy
3. Surfing Since: SL Surfer SInce 2007
4. Favorite Board:
My favorite make of board is the HP5 because it feels the most real to me. But my fav board of all time is the pink “Kiss Mick” board Mickey made for me.
5. Favorite Wave:
I have always been a fan of Leo’s wave especially the Teahupoo. Lately tho I am really falling for the new LSD Mesh wave.
6. How did you come across surfing on SL and what was your first initial reaction to it?
As a RL surfer, one of my first things I did after learning to attach my hair to my skull and not my knee, was go surfing. First wave was at Surf City.
7. Are you involved in the SLSA (second life surfing association) in any way? (competitions, events, etc.)
Yes I do compete at comps and do like to volunteer as a Judge, EC or make rashies.
8. What are your thoughts or opinions on the direction on the SLSA from 2012 and beyond?
The SLSA is not just a few individuals sitting around making arbitrary decisions. It is US the membership the surfers. Sure we have lost a few members and a some beach real estate, HOWEVER, we have grown by over 100 new members many of whom are actively involved and gained some new and exciting beaches. I would say over all we have a bright future.
9. What do/did you find positive and negative about it?
Reference #8, The SLSA is all about the members. The great turn outs .. the fun banter in chats all great things.
How would you like to see it improve more?: Improve… PEOPLE GET INVOLVED become a judge or a Marshall, run for Director. If you have a business, why not sponsor the season or donate a product to the fundraisers?
BUT! People it is not all about Money .. if there is an event just show up.. your SMILE alone is worth a million Lindens.
10. Do you compete in any surfing competitions SLSA or non?
Yes I have competed the SLSA Season, Vibes, and Pixel Comp.
11. What do/did you find gratifying and dissatisfying about competitions?
Let me think.. maybe my computer did not spawn a crazy virus during the comp that infected everyone on the grid and brought the entire meta verse to its’ knees.
12. How do you feel about the SLSA using non SSI boards for competitions? (ex; HP5, LSD, Action)
I think it is wonderful to see new boards and waves being used in comps. I was very proud the comp hosted at Encinitas was one of the first non SSI comps with both and HP Wave and Board.
13. If you are currently inactively involved in competitions (surfing, judging, etc.) what was the reason for leaving? Would you want to come back and participate?
Well I am inactive .. because it is the off season. I guess when the new season starts I will want to come back. Yeah this answer was lame .. and I will hate seeing it when it is in print.
14. What are your thoughts on the team dynamics? Is there a team you particularly like?
As official cheerleader and team mom here is what I have to say
LISTEN UP TUSNAMI!
HELLO TAI CHI AND REEF RIDERS TOO!
WHY SO SERIOUS?
CAUSE SURF CRAZY IS HERE TO SAY
GO BIG OR GO HOME!
15. Is there anyone on here that particularly had an impact when it came to surfing, mentoring, and overall being a role model for you?
I was never really involved in the SLSA other than the Surf Festivals prior to this Season 1 2012. During Surf Festival I met some of the greatest people ever. Of course the one person I must mention my hubby Mickey who is my inspiration but I would like to give a shout out to Figger Arun, Rayzza Rubble and Wil DeCuir, together they have taken me from mashing keys to giving me the confidence to enter a competition.
16. What was your favorite moment or memory on surfing here?
This is more like when you bake cookies in RL. As the scent fills the kitchen all the wonderful memories of baking with your mom come back into focus. Every time you go to an awards ceremony, visit a break, or attend a comp you get to enjoy the cumulative time you have spent with your SL Surfing Crew.
17. Is there anyone you know or knew that isn’t active as much in surfing and would like to see come back?
This question is easier than question number 1 …. ROFL Lissa Sands. That girl used to slay me. I would be laughing so hard I could not surf straight. And Tauri … nothing like heading out for a weekend of mayhem with Tauri.
18. Many people have strong opinions when it comes to SL surfing and RL surfing. What is your take on the comparison?
I have said in the forum: Real Life and Second Life Surfing are not mutually exclusive nor are they potentially inclusive. It is like the Yin-Yang symbol, there is a little white in the black and a little black in the white. Being an RL surfer just means you are an RL surfer.
19. Do you have any advice for new SL surfers on here?
LOL. Once in RL a freind took me snow skiing, told me I had to snow plow. On the way down I hit every rock, tree, squirrel, bush, and raccoon on the mountain. All the while being told to snow plow. Later that year, I took him surfing, told him paddle paddle paddle paddle, and he rag dolled all day long. At the end of each day .. we said the same thing .. I HAD A BLAST! My advice to new surfers .. HAVE A BLAST.
20. Any other thoughts?
“If there is an exception to every rule, then every rule must have at least one exception; the exception to this one being that it has no exception.”
“There’s always an exception to the rule, except to the exception of the rule—which is, in of itself, an accepted exception of the rule.”