1. Name: Jen Gustafson
2. Team: No Team or my own fun team Team Peanuts.
3. Surfing Since: 2007
4. Favorite Board: SSi board most fun
5. Favorite Wave: Fluffies and Sunset at Archi… learned surfing on fluffies and Sunset because it´s my wave in my backyard.
6. How did you come across surfing on SL and what was your first initial reaction to it?
My first meeting with surfing was at Chi, saw there my first competition the Namiko pro 2007 won by SamyJo…. wasn´t the forward girl like I am now…. more mysterious in the background… but noticed straight away the feel and friendship in the surf community. I liked that a lot and that´s why I´m still here… my following reaction was competing in the first windsurfing competition at Chi… became third 😉 and well the rest is sort of history….
7. Are you involved in the SLSA (Second Life Surfing Association) in any way?
No, not really involved… I started competing again only since I returned to the surf community and I understand that in a way there was a need to be organized… So the creation of SLSA had a positive impact in some way… but hey surfers are free birds…. we glide on the waves….. so get a board and have fun on the swell… why wait to be organized…
8. What are your thoughts or opinions on the direction on the SLSA from 2012 and beyond?
My thoughts and opinion… lol…. well it´s good there are peeps picking up the responsibilities after the creation and organization of SLSA…. but hey… If that is the way you like to have fun 🙂 just do it then… I wouldn´t… my responsibility ends with the log in button 🙂
9. What do/did you find positive and negative about it?
Positive side, there is a organized structure with surf seasons and competitions…. what can be fun… it is nice to meet old and new peeps and have a laugh… Negative side is the hierarchy and politics…. well I keep myself far away from that and take my SL surf live not to serious… I´m here to have fun with friends or without 🙂
How would you like to see it improve more?
well very simple don´t…. don´t do it … just keep it small and a binding structure where the basics are organized, like a constitution for the rest let things go and peeps stand up to do fun things… there will be activity and surfing all around with or without a controlled organization…
10. Do you compete in any surfing competitions SLSA or non?
Yeah I competed the last season for the first time but I just surf when I really feel like it… I have a sunset wave in my back garden so just jump on the board when I feel for it to have a go and a laugh to myself….. it is more a lifestyle… sun beach sand and tropics….
11. What do/did you find gratifying and dissatisfying about competitions?
Ok, like I said it´s good to be organized and have a competition… but it should not be carried by rules, traditions, and hierarchy.. it scares the new peeps and well it´s so conservative……. for example the competitions are taken to serious by some…. the competitions are also taking to much time… the last one took 8 hours… that´s a whole working day…. well I entertain myself with friends but think to myself what the hell are we doing……
12. How do you feel about the SLSA using non SSI boards for competions? (ex; HP5, LSD, Action)
lol… well yeah… do what ever peeps like really… I hate those boards… I love my SSi board 🙂 but yeah change and introducing new things why not…
13. If you are currently inactively involved in competitons (surfing, judging, etc.) what was the reason for leaving? Would you want to come back and participate?
Not applicable for me… I do compete… but I´m not interested in being active involved within the SLSA… or a surfing team.
14. What are your thoughts on the team dynamics?
Not applicable for me… I do not belong to a surfing team as far as I know…. but dynamics of or on a team… well some short quotes 1. laugh 2. spontaneous 3. no social control 4 RL always comes first.
Is there a team you particularly like?
Uhm I guess Chi… it is my introduction to SL and surfing…
15. Is there anyone on here that particularly had an impact when it came to surfing, mentoring, and overall being a role model for you?
Well I think that would be Poid and Sally… not that they mentored me… but they introduced me in my first experience of the SL Surfing community….. I liked watching Thor Bishop and Flynn Sheridan on the swell… they were cool surfer dudes… I still am impressed by Heather and Sebastian what they have introduced in SL and that is it really…. I became my own role model here in SL…. the biggest impact was not surfing. 😉
16. What was your favorite moment or memory on surfing here?
My favorite moment was to feel the cheer and happiness when I got third on my windsurfer on the first windsurf competition. And now the enjoyment of meeting so many great and lovely peeps. 🙂
17. Is there anyone you know or knew that isn’t active as much in surfing and would like to see come back?
I love to see some old peeps like Keala, Sierra, SamyJo, Kimmy etc. coming back… there is change a lot and with all those alts around it´s hard to know who is who… I did meet last week a guy from the old days Wolfbringer and just talked about the old days…. but hey… I keep meeting all kind of new interesting peeps… and believe change is good… but hold on to my first memories. 🙂
18. Many people have strong opinions when it comes to SL surfing and RL surfing. What is your take on the comparison?
Well there isn´t… this is virtual…. and well I tried surfing but in the RL I keep falling off. 🙂
19. Do you have any advice for new SL surfers on here?
Just enjoy…. get mixed…. and do what you like….
20. Any other thoughts?
🙂 yeah keep smiling