1. Name: Ace (Ashoka Mosely)
2. Team: Montego
3. Surfing Since: 2011
4. Favorite Board: I love my modded SSI board cos I’ve modded it to suit my style of surfing. I like to have control and my mod board is a paint bush letting me paint a masterpiece on the waves from the artistry of my mind.
HP5 is closer to the real thing. The sense of working with the energy of the ocean, harnessing it and dancing upon the waves is a remarkable feeling that is distinct to the HP5, for me at least.
5. Favorite Wave: I love chasing Mavericks, riding the big waves. Larger canvas to paint Michaelangelo’s chappel.
6. How did you come across surfing on SL and what was your first initial reaction to it?
I love hanging out at beaches and once, this particular beach I was hanging out at, Mori Pawni, had a huge wave, and I saw some people surfing. It looked like a lot of fun and I chatted with the locals and convinced them to let me try on one of their boards. I was hooked.
7. Are you involved in the SLSA (second life surfing association) in any way?
Not involved really in SLSA because I live in Asia now, and the timezones is bad for SL Surfing. The SLSA members I meet are a few from my timezones in Australia, New Zealand and some Europeans.
Last heats start at 4am for me while a first heat starts at around 2am for me RL. It’s tough for those on this part of the world, but, as long as we are in the last heat, it should be more manageable.
8. What are your thoughts or opinions on the direction on the SLSA from 2012 and beyond?
I don’t know what the new direction is and how different it is from the previous? Would be interesting to understand the objectives of SLSA moving forward. Is the objective to grow members and outreach in SL? Is the objective to improve the quality of interactions, fun and surfing for the members already in SL SA? The above two , though not totally mutually exclusive, may also hinder each other…
9. What do/did you find positive and negative about it?
With reference to growing members, I believe there is an uptrend in total membership and those competing in the open cateogroy. Keeping this growth constant may be a challenge if outreach, spreading awareness is not supporte by enough ” buzz ” and ” excitement ” from SL SA through stories, coverage, publications and advertising, etc… Some suggestions are more buzz about competitions, coverage and exposure about champs, more publications advertised in SL .
With reference to improving the quality of the experience of SL surfing for memebers within SL SA … there should / could be events where teams are forced to mix members for events … this will allow us to get to know other team players better…
How would you like to see it improve more?
I reckon alot more buzz is needed to draw in the crowds… But it needs more buzz to draw the crowds. That can be done through more exposure, coverage , of teams and competitions. At the same time, events where teams are forced to mix members will allow us to get to know other teams better. Its easy for ” clicks ” to form otherwise …
10. Do you compete in any surfing competitions SLSA or non?
SLSA surf competitions.
11. What do/did you find gratifying and dissatisfying about competitions?
Gratifying is winning. Dissatisfying is losing. But as mentioned and repeated often, there needs to be more people competing…
12. How do you feel about the SLSA using non SSI boards for competitions? (ex; HP5, LSD, Action)
It’s great and there should be more of it done.
13. If you are currently inactively involved in competitions (surfing, judging, etc.) what was the reason for leaving? Would you want to come back and participate?
I compete. I would compete more if time zones were better suited for people in the Southern Hemisphere.
14. What are your thoughts on the team dynamics? Is there a team you particularly like?
Montego. It is a nurturing team with no egos and a healthy attitude towards fun and winning. Tsunami is cool too. Fun atmosphere and alot of team spirit!
15. Is there anyone on here that particularly had an impact when it came to surfing, mentoring, and overall being a role model for you?
Most people are very helpful and I can’t name one in particular.
16. What was your favorite moment or memory on surfing here?
Placing 2nd in the Maverick wave competition. Best I’ve ever done and I had to do 2 surf-offs with 2 of the best surfers in SL.
17. Is there anyone you know or knew that isn’t active as much in surfing and would like to see come back?
Desi. Because she is the best surfer out there bar none. Unfortunately, for a mixture of reasons, she no longer competes. Perhaps, she can be convinced to create an alt? 🙂
18. Many people have strong opinions when it comes to SL surfing and RL surfing. What is your take on the comparison?
Too much “gaming” on SL Surfing. And this is usually those who prefer SSI boards. For SSI board surfers, I respect those that dont “game” by just doing a multitude of tricks all the time, but, those that try to weave a story and have grace and artistry in their surfing.
19. Do you have any advice for new SL surfers on here?
Have fun and let the waves be the canvas for your artistry.
20. Any other thoughts?
SLSA needs to know it’s long term plans and objectives. If one of the objectives is to grow, SL Surfing has to become more exciting and draw bigger crowds. There are what 50K people on SL? No reason why SL SA shouldn’t have at least 1% of that total as active members and competitors… 500 active members and competitors, should be a target!
Look at the NFL, NBA, world cup soccer , English premier league soccer, X Games, F1 Grand Prix …. These get popular through being interesting, exciting storylines, raising profiles of its most talented members, etc …
One way to achieve the above … a greater focus on competitions and teams!
Without the Stanley Cup, the US vs CAN stories, the “European invasion” stories… no one would give a !@#$ about Ice Hockey! Without the UEFA Champions League, the World Cup, the English Premier League, La Liga … football would not have the impact it has on the global economy. Without the Superbowl, American football would be boring as heck!
That’s how to make surfing more relevant to a greater number of people, the greater SL community.
If the objective is to improve the quality of surfing experience in SL for current members , more interactions between members of different teams, be it through games, friendly competitions, surfing events, etc, is needed.