1. Name: Xander Datura
2. Team: Surfcrazy
3. Surfing Since: Ummmm couple years in SL
4. Favorite Board and why?
Too tough to say.. there’s things I love about all of them.
5. Favorite Wave and why?
Again to tough to call!
6. How did you come across surfing on SL and what was your first initial reaction to it?
I was showed SL surfing through a friend that has since left game.. he took me to Mick’s shop and I got a board and was immediately hooked!
7. Are you involved in the SLSA (second life surfing association) in any way? (competitions, events, etc.)
Yeah I’ve surfed in several comps! This season I’ve been mostly learning the ropes on the staff side. I’ve learned to judge and a lot of the ins and outs of what goes on behind the scenes. (Editor’s Note: Xander is currently on the Board of Director’s for the SLSA.)
8. What are your thoughts or opinions on the direction on the SLSA from 2012 and beyond?
I’m certain it will continue to grow and evolve. I think we’ll see new boards and waves pop up soon, as well as many new members.
9. What do/did you find positive and negative about it?
Well the community is obviously a big positive… the drama within that’s a big negative..
How would you like to see it improve more?
I like to think that all that old tension can be let go some day and everyone combine their ideals and goals in a productive way… arguments will happen of course.. but growth and change comes out of discussion and conflicting ideas.. and it really bothers me that many of my friends don’t get along with each other anymore, when essentially they all want the same thing deep down inside.
10. Do you compete in any surfing competitions SLSA or non?
I’ve competed in mostly SLSA comps, but this season been mostly working them.
11. What do/did you find gratifying and dissatisfying about competitions?
I love getting together with everyone! Hanging out and riding, or even watching and partying is always a blast!
12. How do you feel about the SLSA using non SSI boards for competitions? (ex; HP5, LSD, Action)
I think its a necessity!! More new things are going to come out someday.. we’re learning to adapt and change now.. anything that doesn’t adapt, becomes extinct!
13. If you are currently inactively involved in competitions (surfing, judging, etc.) what was the reason for leaving? Would you want to come back and participate?
I’m active. 😛
14. What are your thoughts on the team dynamics? Is there a team you particularly like? Why?
I like them all.. but I’m of course partial to my team Surfcrazy. 😛
15. Is there anyone on here that particularly had an impact when it came to surfing, mentoring, and overall being a role model for you? Who and why?
Oh wow… SEVERAL have.. Mick n Revy of course… Sally, Kantbe, Colleen, J.T have all influenced me.. that’s just naming a few.. odds are good if they know my name then we’ve hung out n talked.. and that’s had an impact on me 🙂 I love everyone within the community. ❤
16. What was your favorite moment or memory on surfing here?
I think of two… my first competition, surfing with everyone.. and my first time doing head judge… living through that.. lolol
17. Is there anyone you know or knew that isn’t active as much in surfing and would like to see come back? Who and why?
Mmm not that I can think of.. people surf different places, but they still surf, 🙂
18. Many people have strong opinions when it comes to SL surfing and RL surfing. What is your take on the comparison?
Well.. it’s a tough comparison… and different for everyone. No sport in SL is just like RL.. it’s limited by imagination I guess… many sl surfers never surfed rl, but for people that have, it can feel the same.. it’s a different ride, but it’s still a ride. it’s the mentality of the individual that matters… you could put a surfer in the desert.. they’re still a surfer.. it’s a way of thinking, a way of life.. not just a ride on a wave. Just like getting on a board in rl a few times doesn’t make you a ‘surfer’.. not having access or ability to in rl, doesn’t mean you don’t have the surfer way of life either! I want to surf sooo bad in rl I can taste it.. just not at a place I can (for now, soon I hope). but in rl I skydive and scuba dive when I can.. used to wake board a lot, and skate (board not blades). I’m into that kind of stuff a lot.. and the way I always physically look in sl.. no shoes, no shirt.. black shorts… 99% of the time that’s what I’m wearing in RL too.. surfing for me in SL isn’t just about riding on the waves.. it’s hanging out with the same type of people. People with that mindset are drawn into sl surfing.. so I feel at home here.. many of my best friends and family are rl surfers, many never been on a board in rl.. but we all have a lot in common. It’s very objective, but that’s how I see it.
19. Do you have any advice for new SL surfers on here?
Just enjoy!! There’s tons of great people and places within the community.. most everyone is helpful and eager to see new faces!
20. Any other thoughts?
I LIKE TURTLES!